How to connect a web camera to Ivideon Server
Why?Setting up a surveillance system using a web camera is one of the most simple and economical methods.
- Connect the camera to your computer.
- Install the original drivers, since the system drivers do not always operate correctly.
- If you are connecting the laptop built-in webcam, skip the first two steps.
- Open Ivideon Server. If the program is already open, restart it: click on the "Exit" button and open it again.
- Click "Start".
- The camera will automatically be added to the list in the Ivideon Server.
Web cameras create a non-encoded stream that is re-encoded before feeding the video for viewing or recording it in the archive. The encoding process makes the computer work much harder.
You can reduce the load by changing the recording settings for the web cameras.
- Open the "Settings" menu.
- Go to the "Advanced" tab.
- Change the video format from H.264 to MPEG-4. The MPEG-4 compression standard does not load the processor as much.
- If changing the video format is not enough, adjust other recording settings for the web cameras: resolution, bitrate and/or frame rate. (For more information,see the instructions How to find optimal recording settings for my web cameras? )
- Click "OK" to confirm.